WooCommerce is one of the most popular e-commerce platforms out there, and it’s not hard to see why! It’s easy to use, powerful, and comes with tons of great features that make it perfect for nearly any business that wants to set up an online shop.
However, even if you use the best platform in the world, there’s no guarantee that your store will succeed unless you work on optimizing it to get more traffic and conversions. Let’s find out more about this platform and its possibilities.
Brief history of WooCommerce
WooCommerce is a plugin that allows you to turn your WordPress site into an e-commerce store. It was created by WordPress co-founder Matt Mullenweg and his team at Automattic in 2011. WooCommerce is now the most popular e-commerce platform on the web, powering over 30% of all online stores.
Advantages of the platform
WooCommerce is a great platform for those looking to create an online store quickly and easily. One of the advantages of using WooCommerce is that it integrates well with WordPress, which is one of the most popular site-building platforms available today. In addition, there are plenty of plugins and themes available specifically for WooCommerce stores, which can make your store look unique and professional. When it comes to SEO, WooCommerce offers a few built-in features that can help you optimize your site, such as automatic sitemaps and RSS feeds. Lastly, there are plenty of plugins and themes available specifically for optimizing WooCommerce stores for SEO.
Disadvantages of the platform
While WooCommerce is a great platform with a lot of features, there are some disadvantages to using it. First, because it is built on WordPress, it can be subject to the same security vulnerabilities. Second, it can be difficult to scale a WooCommerce store due to its reliance on plugins. Third, WooCommerce can be slow due to its codebase and the number of requests made to the server. Fourth, there are limits on what you can do with the platform without hiring a developer.
How to set up a store on WooCommerce?
Installing and configuring WooCommerce is simple and straightforward. You can follow these instructions to get started:
- Log in to your WordPress site and go to Plugins > Add New.
- Search for WooCommerce in the WordPress plugin repository.
- Install and activate the plugin.
- Run the setup wizard and configure your settings. The WooCommerce configuration options include deciding whether you want to enable all products, just specific categories, or no products at all. The configuration also allows you to add a product URL prefix that will be used as the base URL of every product page that gets created.
Now it is time for WooCommerce SEO optimization strategy.
How to optimize it for better SEO?
If you want to make sure your WooCommerce store is optimized for better visibility, there are a few things you can do.
First, make sure your site is running on the latest version of WordPress and that you have the latest version of the WooCommerce plugin installed. Choose the right domain name is the most important step in optimizing your website for search engines. Don’t use www or any other prefix before the domain name, because that information is used by the browser and not by Google’s crawlers or Bing’s spiders when they visit your site.
Second, take a look at your site’s structure and make sure your category pages are well organized and easy to navigate. Think about your content strategy. It doesn’t matter how good your website looks or how many visitors it attracts if nobody reads anything on it. So, start with writing compelling copy for your home page and all your other pages. Don’t forget about keyword research to get it better. Finally, optimize each product page by adding images, unique descriptions and meta tags.
Third, choose a good theme for your site that is mobile-friendly and responsive.
Ready for next level? Help yourself with:
- Yoast WordPress SEO plugin will be able to optimize every page of your site for search engines and provide feedback about what pages need attention. This plugin will help you with things like keyword optimization and making sure your site is readable by search engines. Additionally, it’ll also help you create better titles and descriptions for your products.
- All in One Schema markup plugin will make sure that all of your product pages have the necessary information required by Google and other search engines. It will also automatically add schema markup to new product pages as they are created, saving you time from having to manually input this information.
- W3 Total Cache – this caching plugin speeds up your website by caching static files and eliminating browser rendering delays. It also compresses content so it loads faster on any device with an internet connection.
- Redirection Plugin helps Google index product pages on your site so customers can find them when they search. Plus, it helps keep visitors on your site longer which leads to more conversions.
By following the tips above, you can make sure your WooCommerce store is well-optimized for search engines. In addition to improving your ranking in search results, this will also help you attract more organic traffic and boost sales. At SEO Queenstown, you will find team of experts who can assist you with all aspects of SEO, from keyword research to link building.
Main photo: John Schnobrich/unsplash.com